1:11 AM

STRING 08: Urgently Needed: Spontaneity in Speaking

Just when I thought Mathew Brady and Edward Curtis had served as great creatures in the history of mankind, Prof DP opened up my eyes to reality on the first day that I attended my Photojournalism class. Let me not forget to commend the reporters for painstakingly delving deeper into their topics that they had just recited everything that’s in Wikipedia. (Wikipedia Forever!)

We had a talent show in DevComm and the classroom looked like a comedy bar the entire period. Groups were called in randomly to perform in front of the ruthless class. And so I felt it my duty to write down the assessment.
1. A girl sang Journey (not the band, but rather …what a journey it has been and the end is not in sight).
2. Four girls sang different songs so good I forgot their titles, while constantly flipping their hair.
3. Some gentleman *blecch* sang some old song, which lyrics I knew better than he did. That’s excusable, poor memory comes with age anyway.
4. The King of Pop graced the show with his signature moves. Magnificent! I nearly asked for a rerun.
5. The Master of Seduction did a song-and-dance number. The class wanted more but FC got in the way.
6. Aiming too HIGH! (Aylabyu Gu Jun Pyo!)
7. A group of girls rendered a heart-warming Christmas medley. Oh, I almost forgot that it’s almost Christmas. (Patawaaaad!)
8. The finale was brought to us by The Shit Series. Save the best for last, as they say. Whatevs.

The reporting in Psychology had finally started; expect me to be looking forward to it every Tuesdays and Fridays. Reporting thrills me to the bones like hell. Yes, like hell. (Translation: Find out what irony is.) The reporters were awful, as always. It’s not that I concentrate on their flaws, but what could I do so as not to notice them? Close my eyes and sleep? Might as well, but the house rules forbid me to. Miss Perpekta might put me in detention.Good thing some girl aired my complaint to the reporter, she asked out loud: Aren't you tackling the differences of Psychology from other sciences? Because it seems like you're just relating those sciences to Psychology. Had I not known better, I would have thought that girl just wanted attention. The same reporter's penchant for using the word 'somehow' made him all the more like pretentiously talking nonsense.

Then came the greatest show on earth. In Argumentation and Debate class, we had an extemporaneous speaking activity. How come no one told me about it beforehand? Huh? Huh?

Boy, whatever happened to spontaneity?
-
Overheard conversation at the blockbuster-hit 2012 train; presumably referring to gay guys who had just alighted.

Man1: Dumarami pa sila, di na mapigil ang pagdami.
Man2: Onga e, di naman nag-aanak, dumarame.
Man1: Nagkakainggitan lang yan, paano ang daming talent.
Man2: Anong talent? Magpedicure, manicure….

HUH?
I turned to move away; bigotry is a fast-spreading contagion.

0 comments: